The Merchantman Pub is located in the historic Carvell building, named after the Carvell Brothers who owned and operated a wholesale business in this location from 1862 to 1976.
The building was built in 1856 by James Peake, who emigrated from Plymouth, England to Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island in 1823.
Mr. Peake became a prominent shipbuilder, shipowner, merchant, broker, and Member of the Legislature during his lifetime on Prince Edward Island. He is listed in the Island registries as having owned more than 150 trading ships, or merchantmen.
The Merchantman Pub, named in recognition of James Peake, opened in July, 1994.